NOTE: Before performing any significant repairs, back up your computer's hard drive.
To fix update and installations issues perform a clean reboot
- To enter a clean boot state, type "msconfig" in start search and hit Enter to open the System Configuration Utility.
- Click the General tab, and then click Selective Startup. Clear the Load Startup Items check box, and ensure that Load System Services and Use Original boot configuration are checked.
- Next, click the Services tab. Select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box. Now click Disable all.
- Click Apply/OK and restart the computer. This will put Windows into a Clean Boot State.
- If the clean boot helped you fix the error, fine! Else in the General tab, also click to clear the Load System Services check box, click Apply/OK and restart.